Wednesday, January 09, 2008

.003//zero 7, sia.

So apologies for the little break. Back to business.

Tonight [or today, whichever you'd like to consider it], we're gonna get down with some Sia [my favorite UK import], along with how I discovered her [in synth-band, Zero 7].


First up: Zero 7.



I first discovered this band in 1999 [Would you believe I was in 7th grade? haha] while I was watching an amazing little show you might remember called ROSWELL. I identify this show along with Dawson's Creek, the definitive arrival of what has grown into my musical tastes today (Thank you WB). Zero 7's "Destiny" played on the radio in the room during the characters of Max and Liz's makeout sesh. Which is funny because it really is perfect makeout music in my opinion. Funny though, some weirdos would consider "System of a Down" to be makeout music? Preposterous, in my opinion but to each his own. Enough with my random tangent though. Once my favorite hour of television was over, I searched for Zero 7's "Destiny" online, downloaded it and listened. It first caught my ear, not only for the smooth sound but, for one of the lyrics. Which might be considered slightly racy to the parents of a 7th grader: "I'm watching porn in my hotel dressing gown" sung by none other than, Sia Furler along with bandmates: Sam Hardaker, Henry Binns and Tina Dico. Of course, at the time I wasn't aware of her name, just the group as a whole.

A few years later [meaning circa 2004-2005], I became a little obsessive over the movie Garden State (but oh wait, didn't like half the population? Well...half the intelligent, alternative-thinking population anyway? I didn't just say that. Shh.). I bought the movie on DVD, shared deeply intellectual conversations with friends about the movie) and partook in the Soundtrack craze as well (shame. shame on me). Once purchasing the soundtrack, I went through and, to my delight, I find "In The Waiting Line" by Zero 7. Which is also featured on "Sex & The City", at the end of the season 6 episode "The Domino Effect" as Carrie wakes up to find Big gone after spending the night together.

Around that very same time, I'd become engrossed in The OC and especially had taken a deep liking to the music featured on the show [I own The OC Mixes 1-6, minus mix 3.]. On the first episode of Season 2, after the credits, we find Marissa and Summer sunbathing by Marissa's pool and the song accompanying this scene just so happens to be "Somersault" by Zero 7.

Much more recently, I've become a fan of the songs "Dreaming", "Home", "Distractions" and a song featuring Jose` Gonzalez called "Futures". For more, check out: www.zero7.co.uk

Below I've posted a live performance for the song "Somersault" done on Jimmy Kimmel:




Another hop, skip and a year jump into the future [circa summer of '06] and I'm browsing a friend's MySpace page and am instantly cascaded with the amazing sound of a song by solo artist, Sia Furler of Zero 7 fame, called"Breathe Me".


Which brings me to our second artist: Sia.



If there were any artist who could create a song that would [with the risk of overdramatizing the feeling this song gives me] reach into the pit of my stomach and just touch every emotion or nerve ending deeply...it would be Sia.

"Breathe Me" was indeed the first solo song from Miss Furler that I'd had the pleasure of hearing. Of course, I had and still am experiencing a great love affair with this song. I quickly went on to find that her song was used on two very distinctive projects: A video homage to PostSecret and not only used in the promo video for the final season of HBO's Six Feet Under but also used in the final 6-minute scene for the show. It's strange because I'd never gotten into it but after seeing the last 6 minutes on YouTube with Sia's song played, I suddenly gained interest.

The video for "Breathe Me" is equally moving and very artistic. Take a look an you'll see what I mean:



Apparently, it was made with 2,500 polaroids. Insane, right?

Moving on though. I then proceeded to take a liking to another song she collaborated with Zero 7 on called "You're My Flame". Honestly, it just has that feel of someone being a complete infatuation for you no matter what their faults are. The video, however very well-done, doesn't seem to have much to do with the actual song to me. I could be wrong and just not thinking deeply enough. Sia's album Lady Crossaint, parts of it once featured on her MySpace page, showcased a song called "Pictures" that I liked a lot. It deals with the subject of not quite moving on; or rather being with someone who hasn't quite moved on. It's open to interpretation in any case. It has a soulful, r&b vibe yet retains the alternative-indie edge as Sia often manages to pull-off [it must be her sheer amazingness...okay so I love Sia, shh.]

A few other favorites from her: "Sunday", "Paranoid Android" (a Radiohead cover); and from her new album "some people have REAL problems" (released on 01.08.08.): "Buttons" [headbopper, the video is pretty wicked...a little zaney, and not at all standard but definitely wicked, showcases her perfection of a voice too.], "Academia", "Little Black Sandals" and "Day Too Soon".

For more on the Sia, check out her website: www.siamusic.net.

That's all for now, I'll be back a later with our next artist.

Peace&love.

0 comments: